The first time God called Abraham we don't get much information. In fact it is simply three short verses (Genesis 12:1-3). But longer conversations have happened about this call than it actually lasted. For everything in the Old Testament flows from this passage to Christ. That is why we only get 6 chapters about the first 1656 years of world history but Abraham's 175 year life covers 19 chapters in Genesis.
God told him to pack light. He wanted Abraham to get way from his country, his relatives, and his father's house. Now God wasn't worried necessarily about his physical address. The Lord wanted the bad influences out of Abraham's life. Terah was an idol worshipper (Joshua 24:2). Families are sometimes the greatest hindrance to spiritual growth. That is why Psalms 119:115 says, "Depart from me, evildoers, That I may observe the commandments of my God."
He was to venture to a land that God will show him. Notice God didn't tell him the final destination. I can remember watching the movie The Karate Kid (the original) when I was a kid. Daniel wanted to learn Karate so Mr. Miyagi told him they must make a "secret pact". It was "I teach, you do, no questions." That seemed reasonable until Mr. Miyagi told Daniel to wax all the cars, the showed him how to sand the floor, paint the fence, and paint the house. All this seemed useless until the lightbulb went off one day. All that "useless" training that seemed to have no direction all came together. Daniel realized Mr. Miyagi was teaching him karate moves and they came natural to him now that he spent so much time learning them. The point is that Daniel didn't understand until he arrived at the place he needed to be. This, I am sure, built great trust in his teacher. So God was building great trust with Abraham in this episode because He has larger plans for him later in life.
- A Great Nation--God sure does know how to tailor blessings. Abraham was childless (Genesis 11:29-30). This had to be good news to his ears. The nation will later be called Israel. The one from whom the Messiah will come.
- A Great Name--We don't know the reputation Abraham had in Ur. Maybe it was big, maybe not. Regardless he had to leave all that he had worked for and start again. But God promised to make him great. So Abraham is actually honored more than Jesus Christ. Only Christians honor Jesus but Jews, Christians and Muslims honor Abraham.
- A Blessing to Others--Abraham wasn't just going to be blessed, he was going to be a medium to bless others. Jesus Christ would come from Israel, the nation who is from Abraham, and Jesus blesses the whole world with salvation.
- Intelligible--First God actually appeared to him (Acts 7:2). Second, Abraham could have spoken to Shem! Shem was on the Ark and lived in the Pre-Flood world. Shem was a contemporary with Methuselah who was a contemporary with Adam. That means Abraham could have gotten the entire history of the world and was only 3 generations removed. (Cf. Genesis 11:10-11; Abraham was called aprox 330 yrs. after the flood)
- Without Hesitation--When he was called he left. When he arrived in Canaan he immediately worshipped God and pitched his tent (Genesis 12:6-8). He did this even though the Canaanite, a gruesome and evil people, were in the land.
- Incomplete--No this isn't a good thing. Noticed that God called him while he was in Ur (Acts 7:2-4; Genesis 11:31) but Abraham stopped short in Haran. We don't know how long he was there but it was some years for Abraham had time to make money (Genesis 12:5). The whole time he was there the Lord never spoke to him. It took the death of his idolatrous father to get him to finally complete his obedience. We realize that we must adhere to the precepts of God as well as cling to the promise. Remember God wanted him in the promised land and away from his family. It wasn't until Terah died, Lot was removed from Abraham's presence, and he was established in the land that God reappeared to him (Genesis 12:7; 13:14).
Alexander Graham Bell's conversation should be a big deal to you for without it you wouldn't have your Iphone today! It literally changed history. The call of Abraham should be a big deal to you for without it you wouldn't have Jesus Christ and Salvation. It literally changed history. God is calling you and it should be a big deal to you for without it we are not saved. Can we change history?